The Summer Baroque Choral Academy
at the Victoria Conservatory of Music on Vancouver Island is a week-long online course for singers on the choral music of J.S. Bach.
Led in rehearsal by our Music Director, Sony Classical Artist DANIEL TAYLOR, the course brings together a faculty of over 30 leading conductors, solo singers, professional choristers and period instrumentalists from across Canada and the UK.
- live, in-person choral workshops with Laurence Cummings, Nicholas McGegan, Lisette Canton, and Howard Dyck
- live, in-person sectionals by voice part with Matthew Larkin, Kathleen Allan, Donald Hunt, and Mark McDonald
- intimate ‘baroque bites’ sessions with Daniel Taylor, Suzie Leblanc, Julia Wedman, Cristina Zacharias, Benjamin Butterfield, John Abberger, and Nancy Argenta
- live Q&A sessions, where you can put your style and performance questions to our faculty
- live full-choir rehearsals with Daniel Taylor
- fun social events, including a Bach Pub Quiz and Virtual Afterparty
- a 50% discount at the music learning site ChoraLine, with a smartphone app to help you learn your part with ease
- a final Live Global YouTube Concert, led by Daniel Taylor and featuring soloists including Nancy Argenta, Benjamin Butterfield, Suzie Leblanc, Phillip Addis, Isaiah Bell, members of the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Choir, and Genesis Sixteen.
Everyone is welcome – Join us!
With all music provided, full-time and part-time streams to suit your budget, and free pre-course technical ‘tune-ins’ to get you ready to sing, the Summer Baroque Choral Academy will be an unforgettable experience, suited to every singer.
All sessions are archived for viewing outside timetable hours.
FEES With two fee levels ($145 full-time and $50 part-time), we hope the course will be affordable for every singer. Follow this link to learn more about the difference between the full-time and part-time streams.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Summer Baroque Choral Academy at the Victoria Conservatory of Music in July!
– Kathryn Whitney
Meet our Faculty, Soloists, and Players
Learn about our Course
What are the course elements?
How much does it cost?
Full time course – $145*
*Prices in Canadian dollars. Plus $2.25 registration fee.
How do the streams differ?
Full time choristers sing Bach’s Magnificat in D and the Bach chorale ‘Jesu, meine Freude’, they access all course elements, and sing in the final concert.
What will our timetable look like?
What if I live in a different time zone?
We give a special shout out to those getting up early in the morning or staying up late to join us live!
But all sessions will be recorded and available online, so you can watch them whenever you like, wherever you live.